POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Dominos without MechSim (0/2) : Dominos without MechSim (0/2) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Dominos without MechSim (0/2)
From: willem de wilde
Date: 10 Feb 2003 05:25:28
Message: <7iue4v80j63td3caafghu8b8an69dtpj6f@4ax.com>
Hi,

Seeing the latest mechsim animations I just could not resist
and made a domino sequence without using the mech-sim patch.

Although I admire the funny cartoonesk way the spring powered blocks
behave and I cannot even imagine how much it took to program this into
a raytracer (a great job !!), I think this is not a good solution for
doing mechnical simulations.

You can do these kind of things much faster, more accurate and without
the risk of crashing your raytracer with external modellers and
simulators.

But the main reason for me is speed and reliability,
because I am lazy : I made this in 5 minutes with Xaero
and it took another 5 minutes to trace 140 frames at 640x480 A0.3
and to compile a movie.

Mechanical simulators can be found at:
www.q12.org : ODE  Status: Alive and active
http://www.aero-simulation.de/ Status: Dead ??