POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : marbles - [16-bit JPEG2000] : Re: jpg version Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: jpg version
From: IMBJR
Date: 5 Mar 2004 18:29:24
Message: <7f3i4092son3e0m763nfq9afn20j91di5m@4ax.com>
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:10:29 -0600, "Skip Talbot" <sta### [at] uiucedu>
wrote:

>I'm not adding to this argument any, but I do have a question.  Am I correct
>in assuming that my SVGA trinitron monitor cannot display the increased
>color depth of IMBJR's original?  Different hardware is required, no?  I can
>see the improvement in the quality in IMBJR's png posting but I can still
>only see 8 bits per color channel, no?

This is something I touched on in another post. The problem is out of
my hands in terms of how hardware/software renders such images. They
will either do a bad job and potentially introduce gradient banding or
they will attempt to mimimise the effect and use dithering.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to hardware - for all I know,
VDUs have been able to support such colour depth for years.

>Skip

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com