POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IsoStones : Re: IsoStones Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IsoStones
From: rock
Date: 17 Sep 2005 08:44:31
Message: <7471.432b7533.6e373@titanic>
PM 2Ring wrote:

> Also, isosurfaces can be faster than you might think. I have a sofa object
> derived from one of Jaime's LightSys demo scenes. The original is built
> from isosurface{f_rounded_box()}, I converted it to use superellipsoids,
> but the isosurface version was the faster! IIRC, I posted the scene file in
> p.b.i a couple of weeks ago; look for the very shiny blue sofa.

well, one sofa is different from many stones: completely
different from the original picture posted.

>>I picture something like ... defining 12 different rock shapes.
>>Then, whenever you place a rock, randomly pick which of the 12
>>pre-defined rock shapes to place.  Rotate it randomly y before
>>placing it.  As each one is placed, randomly texture it.
>

> Sure, I can do that:). However, you don't really save memory (in the current
> version of POV) by doing this, unless you're doing it with mesh objects.

Memory was not the concern of my posting; render time was.
If I wanted many stones in a single isosurface, my poor
CPU would kick it's little feet in the air and expire.
Or at least my patience would.  :D

> For an interesting variation on this theme, see my two recent threads,
> "MultiMesh" in the General area and "Grass using MultiMesh" in p.b.i.

Errrrr, I can guess that "multimesh" uses MESH objects,
What does that have to do with isosurface pebbles?