POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Faceted twisted torus (50k) : Re: Faceted twisted torus (50k) ((74k)) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Faceted twisted torus (50k) ((74k))
From: Pete
Date: 16 Jul 2000 22:03:41
Message: <712.232T2900T13186381PeterC@nym.alias.net>
David wrote:

>So, non-coplanar facets are easy! You'll notice that on mine, a row of
>paneling on the outside of the shape eventully works it way around to the
>inside. Also, I beilieve strips don't meet themselves after a full trip
>around, so it's like a mobius strip.

I actually had not noticed that.  Woops.  Hmm.  That's why you
have seven coils: otherwise the six-sided cross section would not
work.  Aha!  That also means you can only use an odd number of
coils.  So does the mobius-like  twisting somehow cut down
on the amount of curvature on the individual facets?

I learned a lot of math and pov in the progress of attempting
to emulate your picture, so thank you for posting it!

<bows to master>