POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Panoramic (as in Zork Nemesis etc) : Re: Panoramic (as in Zork Nemesis etc) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Panoramic (as in Zork Nemesis etc)
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 12 Jun 1998 10:51:16
Message: <6lrf94$sg7$1@oz.aussie.org>
A Ratcliffe <ara### [at] aratcliffedemoncouk> wrote:
: I'm writing a game computer game which involves the player being able to
: look round his location 360 degrees. I've been experimenting with panoramic
: on the camera for this effect, but it doesn't seem to be working. The screen
: resolution when the player is looking round is 640 x 480, truecolour. What
: settings should I set for my camera (image size, angle, etc to get the 360
: view that I require. I would think that aspect ratio would come into it, but
: I couldn't find an aspect option in the camera setup)

  The aspect ratio is controlled with the 'right' vector.
  Suppose you want an image for example 3 times as wide as tall (for example
600x200). Then you should add "right x*3" to the camera definition.
  The general way to set the aspect ratio is to add
right x*(image_width/image_height)

  For the image you want, the best I can think of, is something like this:

camera
{ ultra_wide_angle
  location ... look_at ...
  right x
  angle 360*pi
}

  And then render with options: -w3840 -h3840 +sr1680 +er2160
and you should get a 3840x480 sized image which you can scroll horizontally.
  I don't know why it's not possible to calculate the image directly, but
you have to make a "hack" like that. Maybe it's a ultra_wide_angle camera
feature or just a bug (like the angle fix).

--
                                                              - Warp. -