POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : .jpg => POV??? : Re: .jpg => POV??? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .jpg => POV???
From: Michael Lundahl
Date: 3 Jun 1998 06:59:59
Message: <6l3abf$a65$1@oz.aussie.org>
In article <6kuglv$41u$3@oz.aussie.org>,
	Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi> writes:
>  That's completely impossible.

Eh, I wouldn't quite agree with you on that... under cirtain circumstances
of course.

From just a single JPG, no. That is for the guys in Mission Impossible to
play with. 3D requires *LOTS* more information then 2D. In theory,
infintally more. In reality, it depends on your resolution. If you
have a 1000x1000 picture and want about the same resolution in 3D, you
need 1000 times as much data. You simply can't magically extract that much
info from a single picture unless there are very special circumstances.
In the movies however, anything is possible.

From two photos however you might do it. The computer can, just like the
human brain, extract depth information if it has two pics to work with.
I accorance what I said in the previous paragraph, this method will not
give you 1000 times as much info, it will just detect the surfaces for you.

/Michael