POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project??? : Re: Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project???
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 21 May 1998 12:49:39
Message: <6k1lv3$jem$1@oz.aussie.org>
Lonnie Ezell <lez### [at] pcisnet> wrote:
: I don't know anything about Java's capabilities...Can it really provide the
: speed and power that this sort of program would need?

  You are completely right. I don't like the idea of waiting 10 seconds for
the program to redraw the wireframe, etc.
  I think java is extremely overestimated. I think that in 99.9% of the
computers you have to run the java program in a slow javavm-emulation, and,
besides, the java support of many systems and programs is really deficient.
  I have coded a rather big project with a friend in java, and we were
surprised when it didn't work in almost any system! We coded it to work
with netscape 3 and appletviewer in a sparcstation. Then we tested it with
netscape 4 on the same machine: it didn't work well. We tested it in
win95: none of the netscape versions run it fine, and msie didn't run it
at all!
  Java definitely is not "write once, run everywhere". We wrote it once, and
it didn't run everywhere. We have to write it again if we want it to work
in other systems than netscape3/sparc.
  Also the program is deadly slow (actually it was a very simple
modeller for povray). When there was about 100-200 lines to draw on screen,
in a pentium150 it was a pain to use. With a program written in C you can
draw over 10000 lines faster than that.
  What's the problem with C++ anyways?

--
                                                              - Warp. -