POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : PovRay Distributed network renderer (Win95/WinNT) : PovRay Distributed network renderer (Win95/WinNT) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay Distributed network renderer (Win95/WinNT)
From: Chris Jeppesen
Date: 18 May 1998 03:06:48
Message: <6jomm9$6bi$1@oz.aussie.org>
Anyone interested in this?

I'm in the process of writing a distributed render system that works with
Pov. This uses several computers to do one rendering task.

It has one server, sort of a master control program. It also has several
clients, one for each computer.

Right now it has two modes: Round robin and Animate.

Round robin takes all the .POV files in a directory and hands them out to
the clients. The clients then return all the bitmaps to one directory on the
server. This could be useful for rendering all the samples, for example.

Animate splits up the task of doing an animation among several computers. It
can do weighting, sendimg more work to the faster computers.

I imagine it also could be made to split up a large single image, using +S
and +E, but I havent needed to do that yet.

It is made in VB5.0. This means it needs a fairly large run-time dll. (1.5
Megs. But who cares if your doing 100 megs of animations?)

It runs right now on my home network using 2 WinNT 4.0 computers and 1 Win95
Computer.

If I see enough interest, I'll post it somewhere.

Thanks,
Chris Jeppesen
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/3392