POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes)
From: Jeff Hauswirth
Date: 8 May 1998 10:50:21
Message: <6iv617$il2$1@oz.aussie.org>
>-  A highly portable PovRay Engine (PRE) :
>When possible (most plateforms), it would be a DLL / Shared Library. On
>others, static library.
>It would enable easy and better integration with front-ends (shells,
>modelers, texture editors, render farms, etc), for preview and final
>rendering.

I'm starting work on an ActiveX version of PoV just for the purpose of
easy integration to front ends.  I think the Window's version of PoV is
bloated-  who wants to download a 4M rendering engine that should
be ~1M.  What should have been done was an ActiveX./DLL
version as you suggested, and if someone wants to add an editor, modeler,
everything but the kitchen sink, front end, then they can easily add the PoV
rendering engine by using the ActiveX control/DLL.

Is there much interest by other developers for this ActiveX control?
It would have a bunch of methods/properties that would allow
you to set the rendering options, fire off the rendering into your window,
then notify you that its done rendering.

I know I could use the GUI extensions already built into the Windows
version,
but its much nicer not to have PoV startup as a separate application.

    Jeff