POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wot no superellipsoids? - Boz_1.jpg : Re: Wot no superellipsoids? - Boz_1.jpg Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wot no superellipsoids? - Boz_1.jpg
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 30 Oct 2000 17:55:19
Message: <6isrvskljb1po5hs5mq7jblkiof14vs3kk@4ax.com>
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:53:05 +0100, Sander <san### [at] stolscom> wrote:

>David, would it be possible to have your code modified in such a way that
>the length of the bricks vary a little randomly? Just to use it in making
>a not too regulat floor...

Hi Sander, this would be a good modification but I can't see a way to do it.  As
far as I can see there is no random function available in an isosurface.  (On
the other hand it must be possible to cook one up using clock, in fact IIRC
someone has suggested this.)

The functions I have devised use <sin> to get a repeating pattern (modulus is
not available) and it took me quite a bit of head scratching and experimentation
to avoid color reversals at the junctions of the joints and yet have variable
width joints.  This is one of the three functions I have used;
{if(ceil(sin(pi*x+pi/2)-sin((pi/2)*(1-GROUT)))|ceil(sin(pi*(y+1))-sin(GROUT*pi/2)),Recess,0)}
Where GROUT is the thickness of the joints and Recess is the depth of the
groove.

To make these functions randomly variable, whilst avoiding color reversals would
be tricky even if a random function was available  It looks as if you will have
to use individual bricks if you want random variation :-(

Another desirable modification would be to get a random element in the
pigmentation, but again I have not yet been able to think of a way to do this.
Suggestions gratefully received :-)
dav### [at] hamiltonitecom
http://hamiltonite.com/