POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: povray crashes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray crashes
From: Mark Arrasmith
Date: 6 May 1998 15:33:32
Message: <6iqdvg$c5c$1@oz.aussie.org>
I have had the same problem under AlphaNT and Alpha Linux.  It seems to be
something with the Alpha being 64bit.  I ran into the problem whenever I hit
an object whose edge was running parallel to the scan line.  Run the scene
using adaptive antialiasing (Sampling_Method=2) and it should get by the
point of failure.  Note that this will add alot of time.  Runs using method
2 would take (for me anyway) 3 to 5 times as long as using method 1.

I think this should be looked into before Alpha starts to really take off
this year as a common platform.  It looks as though Samsung is going to
price the 21264 at the same cost at the upper PII's.  Which makes owning a
PII look silly.

Also, is there any plan to make POVRay cross platform with its GUI?  How
about switching to a standard graphical library that is supported on more
than x86 Windows.

Mark Arrasmith
arr### [at] mathtwsuedu
  From his AlphaNT 21164PC 533MHz.
  Note: these machines start at $1800 and kick the crap out of anything else
(other than an Alpha 21164).