POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Increasing dpi for printing : Re: Increasing dpi for printing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Increasing dpi for printing
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 4 May 1998 03:20:17
Message: <6ijq84$31j$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hi Tony,

I think we more or less say the same things with different words.

And while I tried to explain in an abstract way why images as such don't
have any DPI size (and why it is therefor futile to ask POV-Ray to render a
certain DPI size), I did not discuss anything concerning the quality of the
printed output. It is difficult enough to explain the very messed up concept
of screen-resoultion and printing-resolution in a simple news-group post so
I didn't want to start into explaining why a 600x600 pixel image looks
better when printed on a 2x2 inch area (300DPI) than on a 1x1 inc area
(600DPI). For that I would have to start explaining how color-printers work,
how they mix their colors etc.

In the light of the original post it was probably a good idea of you to add
the quality-concerned view of the problem.

Tony Vigil wrote in message <354CC40F.3F47F503@gte.net>...
>I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh.  My bad!

Apology accepted, though I didn't really feel the need to get one :-) I
wasn't that pissed... (you can always tell I'm not, when I litter my
postings with smileys... :-))

Johannes.