POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Throughly Clueless : Re: Throughly Clueless Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Throughly Clueless
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 8 Apr 1998 03:18:24
Message: <6gf7vh$i9b$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hi Steven!

So I guess I have to elaborate, sorry for my short post the first time...
But really, actually I think the post wasn't too bad, because I think you
did everything right, only that you probably ran into a bug in Moray:

>At first I just assigned the halo and got nothing but a black
>sphere when i previewed it. I then added a solid color (white) pigment
>to it and made it 100% tranparent (I don't want to see the cylinder just
>the halo)

Correct, I forgot to mention that.

>and I get nothing at all when rendered. I've played around
>with the type, function, mapping and all the other attributes and so far
>can't even get a hint of a halo.

I guess you didn't change the density function. It seems that there is a bug
in Moray (I will notify Lutz anyway): The "constant" keyword does not get
exported to POV-Ray. If you define a halo with a density function other than
constant, you get your halo! If you need to use "constant", then it seems
that you have to hand-edit your code after export (I tried that and it
worked).

Hope this helps a little bit more!

Johannes.