POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Feasibility of features for 0.6 : Re: Feasibility of features for 0.6 Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feasibility of features for 0.6
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 May 2000 13:36:44
Message: <68e5is82vc51a1ikamac6a3n5kk9pfeqoo@4ax.com>
On 17 May 2000 09:22:27 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  My intuition says that there should be a way to mathematically calculate
>the exact bounds of a blob.
>  Well, it could also be an analytically unsolvable problem, but who knows?

I've seen at least two programs which triangulate blobs quite well,
and finding the bounds of a mesh is LAEFTR :) Also, the volume of a
mesh is easily calculated by integration, provided the vertices of all
faces come in a specified order (clockwise or counter-clockwise).

It *might* just have an analytical solution for simple blobs (spheres
only, no cylinders or ellipsoids). I'll dig around.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet