POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Shrinking Feeling : Re: A Shrinking Feeling Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Shrinking Feeling
From: Kyle
Date: 10 Dec 2005 12:45:18
Message: <674mp1le6e2b2pj9tj06mm8o6at4h86a9a@4ax.com>
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:10:15 EST, "Burki" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>did you cite from an Jack Arnold movie (Incredible Story of Mr. C or
>something)?

Nope.  Just made up from the feeling I had after rendering this scene.

>I think the grass had passed its test. But is it a macro or did you do it
>with a second program?

It's a program that I am working on, written in VB.NET, to attempt to
generate realistic grass in POV-Ray.  The program builds a mesh2 based
on parameters that are entered.  I built collision detection into the
program so that individual blade meshes do not collide.  I also built
a method to provide random UV mapping for each blade, but it's not too
evident in this scene.

The blades are currently place in random fashion.  I am working on
adding functionality to disperse the blades based on gray scale values
of an image passed to the program, similar to height field
functionality in POV-Ray.  I'd say I am about half finished with the
project.

>Would also be interesting looking at the grass forest from below like a bug
>that's crawling on the ground.

That's a good idea.  I may generate a scene like this on another test
run.  We'll see...

>Like it,

Thank you!

Kyle