POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) : Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Feb 2002 01:19:43
Message: <66uo7ugd3nouircifsuoabb8u2ls6j0ptv@4ax.com>

<fcu### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>However Baraff et al, strongly
>emphasize that any dampening process must be relative to "in-cloth"
>movements and not because of other external forces (did I explain
>myself????)

LOL, I remember making this mistake in my early dynamic body
simulations. I would have the velocity damped alright, but that
velocity was the result of integrating an acceleration which was
proportional to the net force acting on a node,  both internal and
external forces... As a result, as I was using viscuous damping
(velocity-based), it looked as if the body was submerged in a liquid,
slowing down for no apparent reason etc. Took me some time to redesign
it, I ended up splitting up velocity in two components (internal and
external) and storing both of them to the next iteration, only adding
them at the end to find displacement.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg