POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost build issue. Official sources. Post Ubuntu 24.04 upgrade : Re: Boost build issue. Official sources. Post Ubuntu 24.04 upgrade Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:48:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost build issue. Official sources. Post Ubuntu 24.04 upgrade
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 8 Sep 2024 23:24:09
Message: <66de6a59$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/8/24 19:35, Ton wrote:
> So once again the question I asked in June, is there anybody maintaining the
> official povray branch?

My answer too remains the same. No. :-)

> This is only getting worse, and you can't expect every user to hack the sources,
> or their environment, to run povray.
>
> Cheers
> Ton.

I agree.

Most users should install the POV-Ray linux distribution packages.
Effectively, the linux distribution folks are acting as the only
official support at present for POV-Ray.

"This," I see more broadly than POV-Ray development support. The g++13
compiler issue(s) and my Ubuntu 24.04 boost library upgrade situation
are general development environment issues which affect POV-Ray (and
other C++ projects), from source, builds.

With both my Ubuntu 22.04 upgrade two years ago (which actually failed)
and the 24.04 upgrade last weekend, the degradation seems to be with
development environments being less sorted on major updates / steps.
Code development environments are community efforts and having official,
POV-Ray specific, development would make POV-Ray a better development
community member.

I understand what I've weitten is not of much practical help for our
POV-Ray development situation...

Lastly, thank you for the OpenEXR 3 updates you and Christoph worked out
more than three years ago! I just this past week adapted them to my yuqk
fork given Ubuntu 24.04 moved to OpenEXR 3.1.5 and Imath 3.1.9.

Bill P.