POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pipe Dream : Re: Pipe Dream Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pipe Dream
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Jul 2024 04:12:10
Message: <66a74eda$1@news.povray.org>
Op 28-7-2024 om 19:25 schreef Bald Eagle:

>> Some months have passed since my last activity here, so it is time I
>> guess to submit my latest to your critical appraisement.
>
> Landscape geometry is good (as usual).
> I would say the grass placement needs to be in better places.
> Around the bases of the cacti, and along the edges of the pipes (maybe with a
> directional bias)
> More variation in the size, orientation, and geometery of the cacti.
> Some other stuff on the ground.  Dead cactus detritus.  Rocks.  Stuff.

The "grass" is integral part of the landscape texture, so there is very
little I can do about its locations except change it to something else :-)
The cacti are just one cactus model which is bad policy in the first
place, I agree with you, but is is all I have at the moment. As I
replied to ingo, my first focus was on the technical aspects of the
scene, in particular the Textured Fog.

> The rust - needs to be better - but that's been a challenge with every scene for
> the last 30 years.

I fully agree. Here too, I wanted to play a bit with an old macro by
Kiri Kivisalo, from 2001 (!). Very far from perfect in this age of
almost AI-Pov-Ray ;-)

> What if you used some Granite21 a as a base, with a layer of a semi-transmitting
> filtering bozo with the appropriate reds/blacks/yellows

Yes, that is an interesting suggestion. I am modelling very slowly at
the moment due to all kinds of RL things unfortunately, so do not expect
results soon.

> The birds are excellent.
> The sky and fog are looking good.
>
> Agree with Ingo about some of the compositional aspects - centering, Rule of
> Thirds, etc.

Absolutely. Again, it may take some time before you will see results.

> Maybe find a way to desaturate the person - he "pops" too much to fit into the
> rest of the composition.  Maybe just put a bit of fog between him and the
> camera... something.

Ah. Two reasons why I did not do this in the first place. (1) The use of
Sam's Textured Fog (the fog_wrap macro) is fairly complex as it implies
changes to the objects' texture use; the more complex those are, the
more work/attention this requires to get good results, so I skipped this
for the (Poser) figure for the time being as it is positioned in the
foreground. (2) the Textured Fog effect is hardly present in the
foreground or, in other words, the foreground textures of the scene are
hardly affected. Note that /no/ traditional fog is present in this
scene, nor any form of media. All is obtained by the Textured Fog.

> Good to see more of the good ole' TdG scenery again!  :)

<grin> Yes, I confess that I have been repeatedly and gently pushed to
it by jr ;-) I cannot guarantee anything however...

--
Thomas