POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sparkly gems : Re: sparkly gems Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:43:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sparkly gems
From: Alain Martel
Date: 2 Jun 2024 13:14:03
Message: <665ca85b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-06-01 à 21:14, David Kraics a écrit :
> My son is coding a game. He is including gems, like in the Spyro games. He asked
> me to make some 3D versions of his gems, for his own visual reference. I have no
> problem with the shapes. But am puzzled on how to texture them to kinda look
> like sparkly gems. Any recommendations?

Give them an ior somewhere between 1.6 and 2.5, even gor some opaque
ones. Gems usually have indexes of refraction larger than glass (1.5).
Use reflection{1 fresnel conserve_energy}
Use specular highlight in the finish. Also use fresnel at the finish
level (version 1.8).
You may use phong highlight instead or in addition of specular.
Don't forget the light(s).
If transparent, use the interior with face_color Colour, fade_distance
Distance and fade_power 1001. fade_distance is the key factor in
determining the intensity of the colour of the transparent gems.
Don't forget to add some dispersion.
You may want to use some light probe for the environment. You may want
to hide it using no_image.