POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First WIP with roman glasses : Re: First WIP with roman glasses Server Time
27 Jul 2024 14:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First WIP with roman glasses
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 May 2024 15:01:34
Message: <6648fb0e@news.povray.org>
Am 30.10.2012 um 19:47 schrieb MichaelJF:

>> Good start Michael. There are pros and cons about the laboratory
>> environment for judging the glass but that is as it may be.
>>
>> I wonder if there should not be more iridisation, iirc, because of the
>> age of Roman glass.
>>

> Thank you and all the others. I haven't understood the hint of nemesis since I
> never encountered the phrase "depth of field" end espicially not its
> abbreviation so far. So thanks to Cousin Ricky to point this out. I will use
> focal blur within the finalisation of the scene. Stephen is right, the shape is
> too perfect - despite the leaning bottle neck - but I will focus at the material
> first. No, first I will put it out of the laboratory. A window sill overlooking
> a garden for an unknown reason, with water and a flower ...
>
> BTW the romans really crafted such glass ware. I modelled along an example from
> a book about the topic. I exchanged the handle from an other glass but it is not
> too much fluted. max_trace_level was 30 and the rendering time a little bit over
> an hour at my new portable core i7.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and best regards
> Michael

Finally, I decided not to use DOF. Although this would have yielded a
better artistic result, it would certainly have extended the render time
considerably, which was now just under a week (6d 22h 43m, of which 2d
6h 30m for the collection of photons).

I have added some irregularities in the decoration of the decanter.
Unfortunately, they are difficult to recognise. In fact, a lot of
glassware from this period was amazingly perfect. Here Stephen was only
partly right.

All the objects depicted are modelled after excavation findings in
Rhineland-Palatinate and the Netherlands, which are dated back to around
200 AD.

Best regards
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '20240511room3_roman_glasses_1920.png' (2990 KB)

Preview of image '20240511room3_roman_glasses_1920.png'
20240511room3_roman_glasses_1920.png