POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height field to mesh - more resolution : Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution Server Time
17 Jun 2024 06:53:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution
From: Ilya Razmanov
Date: 13 Jan 2024 12:45:45
Message: <65a2cc49$1@news.povray.org>
On 13.01.2024 14:29, jr wrote:

> I have no idea (yet) what "C3" and "C4" symmetries
> might be
> regards, jr.

C3 is triangle tiling ("parquet"), while C4 is square parquet. It's easy
to visualize bitmap image as square pixel parquet and, therefore, turn
it into C4 tiling of some 3D objects, having the same step distance
along both x and y axes. With C3, however, step along one axis (in my
version, x) is equal to triangle side (which, in my case, is
2*sphere_radius), while step along the other (in my version, y) is equal
to triangle height (which would be sqrt(3)*sphere_radius). As a result,
if you compare my s4zaika and s3zaika programs, both have just two
nested loops along y and x, across the image, but s4zaika have a normal

for y in range(0, Y, 1):

loop, while s3zaika have some weird

triangleheight = 0.5 * 1.7320508075688773
Ycount = int(Y/triangleheight)
for y in range(0, Ycount, 1):

loop, where 0.5 is the sphere radius; and apparently reads source PNG
pixels with non-integer coordinates; all this requires some work from my
rusty more than 0.5*century old encephalon :-)

So, now I have C2 (hidden inside C4 sourcecodes), C3 and C4; C5 does not
exist, as do not C7 and above; so I have only C6 ("honeycomb") remain
uncovered. But it need remembering some more school math...

Ilya