POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height field to mesh - more resolution : Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution Server Time
17 Jun 2024 03:58:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution
From: Ilya Razmanov
Date: 13 Jan 2024 05:04:36
Message: <65a26034@news.povray.org>
On 01.12.2023 10:03, jr wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Ilya Razmanov <ily### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> ...> > For this to be done within POVRay only, I need:
>> aiui, POV-Ray (as of 3.7) has the "tools", ...
>
> proof of concept (640x480 image source).  ~20 minutes ;-)
Cheating detected: you are using C4 symmetry, while I simulated real
packing with C3, which requires painful procedure of remembering medium
school math (funny enough, years ago I started with angular functions;
much later I managed to remember of Pythagorean theorem, and yesterday -
a triumph! - I finally managed to make all this down to sqrt(3), which I
hardcoded as a constant, thus removing all linkage to math, rotflmao.
The moral is, you should learn math to get rid of it.)

Anyway, some number of the now resides at
https://github.com/Dnyarri/POVmosaic
variants with, say, rotated boxes looks pseudo-artistic enough to start
boring people with it. Guess I miss C6 symmetry, but "I'll think of it
all tomorrow".

Ilya.