POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : yuqk feature requests / suggestions : Re: yuqk feature requests / suggestions Server Time
20 May 2024 00:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yuqk feature requests / suggestions
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Dec 2023 17:14:11
Message: <658b5033$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/25/23 09:51, Bald Eagle wrote:
> In playing around with ray diagrams, it occurred to me that we have no inc-file
> or inbuilt reflected ray macro or function (that I know of).
>
> Since we have trace () that also supplies a surface normal, a nice complement to
> that would be reflected_ray (Ray, SurfaceNormal).

(or refracted, transmitted, media generated...)

I agree such capability would be useful(a) for diagrams - and probably
mostly for debugging.

Assuming you want access to the real internally generated >first rays,
the other forms are quite a bit harder / uglier to do than is trace().
Further, the results for other than initial / first rays are also
tangled in render settings and options.

Bill P.

(a) - While doing the solver work back in 2017 /2018, I a couple times
hacked in a capability to dump all the generated rays from single
rendered pixels. The pixels were isolated by start/end column row
command line flags (or ini settings). FWIW - It was hacked code and not
SDL available functionality.