POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? : Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 13:58:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Dec 2023 10:08:54
Message: <6581b206$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/19/23 03:32, Kenneth wrote:
> It's interesting that you should mention this topic.*Many*  years ago (2009), I
> had a 'discussion' in the newsgroups with long-time user Warp

Thanks for the pointer. I read through it. I'll say my up front concern
isn't really the averaging(a,b,c) when it comes into play, but rather
that with relatively simple test cases for the cutaway_textures I found
bugs and instability in behavior depending on the kind of inputs given
to the intersection{} and difference{} blocks. Maybe the 'bug' mentioned
in that 2009 thread compared to v3.6 didn't get fixed - or didn't get
fixed completely?

(a) - Relative to the specific averaged texture discussion in that
thread, the yuqk fork introduced a list_object{} pattern for pretty much
the situation discussed. It allows the user to specify a list of objects
for a patterned / *_map texture in a last one wins order. In other
words, the user selects which texture wins in overlapping regions.

(b) - The averaging method provides a way to generate a texture when
there are object overlaps, but the result is clunky I think; as in not
being actually useful except to provide 'some' texture result indicating
overlapping regions. In what I've seen so far you get bits that are
averaged and bits not, depending on overlaps. If all we are after is
some special effect - like image transitions in an animation or
something - the set up could be useful.

(c) - I still haven't unrolled completely how the averaging gets done in
our code. What concerns me some is the inside tests. These are sometimes
very expensive. Even fast ones will be costly if there are huge numbers
of shapes in the input CSG objects to the intersection / difference
(really a modified intersection).

Anyhow, see the image and yuqk scene file(d) for the list_object{}
pattern approach as a cutaway_textures alternative - one also with
limitations.

(d) - I played very briefly with cutaway_textures in this file too and
it seemed like the behavior was different yet again (ignored sometimes
where not previous...?), but I didn't dig into it.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'list_object.png' (51 KB) Download 'list_object.pov.txt' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'list_object.png'
list_object.png