POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : yuqk feature requests / suggestions : Re: yuqk feature requests / suggestions Server Time
20 May 2024 03:52:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yuqk feature requests / suggestions
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Dec 2023 13:40:05
Message: <657c9d85@news.povray.org>
Le 14/11/2023 à 20:36, Bald Eagle a écrit :
 > William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
 >
 >> - My direction with yuqk is generally away from larger extensions like
 >> this being jammed into the POV-Ray core code. They make for a mess as
 >> seen by the user and those supporting / changing the internal code.
 >
 > Sorry, my Man, but I must respectfully disagree.
 > I'm not talking about binary STL, I'm talking about ASCII STL, or "STLA"
 > https://paulbourke.net/dataformats/stl/

You can always use a converter for STL from Ascii to Binary, it will be
far simpler than having yet another extension of the parser, or even a
dedicated parser. It's only once you have experimented handling the
versatility of text input that you start to like strict binary encoding.

 > It's a sparrow's fart away from being a legit POV-Ray mesh {}
definition, which
 > is why I said it would be _trivial_ to implement.
 > Copy mesh{} code, paste mesh {} code, edit mesh {} code.   Done.
 > Just rather than mesh {}, call it stl {}.

Somebody seems enthusiast about mesh... you have probably no idea yet of
the nest of snakes you are to discover.

mesh{} and mesh2{} are two syntax for the same final data structure, but
the latter is far faster to parse when the number of points starts
increasing, as the computation are in mesh2{}, whereas mesh{} just do it
on the fly for you.

 > We can find faster, more versatile and agile ways to do things, and
open up the
 > code base to further expansion by making the addition of code modules
easier to
 > implement.

Never forget portability & universality. Povray could run on Amiga.