POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfields of sediment layers : Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1 Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:59:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Oct 2023 02:37:59
Message: <65239fc7@news.povray.org>
Op 08/10/2023 om 22:36 schreef Samuel B.:
> In the images you posted, I can't see individual height_field 'pixels,' but what
> I do see is diffuse light being reflected only at certain angles, similar to a
> 'toon shader. It's a general lack of smoothness that the smooth keyword can't
> touch... It's the same thing I've seen with free height maps found online.

I wonder if you do no interpret here the granite normals from the used
(complex) rock texture...? See below.

>>> I don't know exactly what your goals are, but can some things be done using
>>> pigment maps and/or functions?
>>>
>> Basically, I use the image_map within a height_field function, more or
>> less warped, and then sheared using a matrix.
>
> Ah, ok. There are ways of ditching the matrix shears and doing everything
> entirely with functions, but it would require somewhat extensive changes to the
> code. And the result would not be the same :/

Hmmm... I am not /that/ proficient with functions I am afraid, but it is
a way I certainly want to explore more in detail.

> I downloaded and rendered the scene. The result looks a lot smoother than the
> images you posted... Did you use a dilate operation on the height_map? It seems
> to have worked pretty well!

See above. As I did not change anything to the image_map, your comment
seems to partly confirm the 'normals' hypothesis... ;-)

[ex cathedra]
My playing with the warp {turbulence ...} had the interesting effect of
nicely simulating what is known as 'loading' in sedimentology:
alternating layers of unconsolidated, water-saturated, sediments
(sand/clay), for example in tidal basins with a high sediment input.
Differential compaction of those sediments may generate 'loading'
deformation of the coarser sediments into the finer ones. Earthquakes
can generate those same features by 'liquefying' soft sediments.
[/ex cathedra]

> Btw, 'CamZoom' doesn't seem to do anything. Changing the camera's angle to this
> makes it work: CamAng/CamZoom

I know. CamZoom is just there in case it is needed. It is in fact a
relict from another scene I didn't bother to ditch. :-)

--
Thomas