POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfields of sediment layers : Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1 Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:59:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Oct 2023 04:23:55
Message: <651fc41b@news.povray.org>
Op 5-10-2023 om 22:37 schreef Samuel B.:
>> A first wip...
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> It's looking promising, Thomas.
>
> Are you using an 8-bit gray scale map? I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but
> Gimp now supports 16 bits per pixel, probably even more. You might have use a
> ..png image if you go that route, though.

Ah! Thanks for reminding me, Sam. I was (un-)aware of this in my daily
use of Gimp as 8 bits are enough for most of my purposes, but here a
higher resolution might be asked for indeed. So, I first converted my
base (layered) sediment .xcf image to 32 bits, and exported to 16 bits
.png. The difference (see attached image) is not spectacular but still
noticeable in the small details.

I need to give an explanation (with code) about what I have been doing
up till now. I shall do that over the week-end.

In any case, this project has its serious limitations indeed as it
relies entirely on provided image maps and their (limited) manipulation
within POV-Ray by different (matrix) transformations while building the
height_field(s). I shall explain later...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hf_sedimentary_test_06c.jpg' (306 KB)

Preview of image 'hf_sedimentary_test_06c.jpg'
hf_sedimentary_test_06c.jpg