POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bronze Age sword - take 1 : Re: Bronze Age sword - take 1 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bronze Age sword - take 1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jul 2023 07:31:07
Message: <64ba6c7b$1@news.povray.org>

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-trade-blows-in-a-debate-over-whether-ancient-bronze-swords-were-just-for
> -s
>>> how

>>> [...] Seems like a waste of precious material, but then again we humans are
> often driven by various (maybe illogical) ideals and weird beliefs ;)
>>>
>> It probably made a lot of sense at the time. Rites and beliefs were and
>> still are the means of knitting together social groups, often in
>> opposition to other groups unfortunately. That is the fundamental
>> problem social animals like ourselves are born with. Chimps are not
>> different in that respect, and herding animals have their own picking
>> order and hierarchies.
>
> The problem with we humans is that our activities tend to have far-ranging
> effects. Yeah, everything we do can be considered 'natural', but we also possess
> greater reasoning capabilities, and so we have more responsibility compared to
> other creatures... Which would imply a degree of free will, which is a whole
> other conversation. (For instance if the principle of cause and effect reigns
> supreme, how could there be free will? The best I can figure is that there are
> 'tiers' of free will, but ultimately only one outcome per 'timeline'. [Each
> timeline being like a single lightning strike, and all timelines overlapping to
> form a fuzzy probability cloud.])

Those are a couple of interesting questions indeed. So, we may assume
that - at some point in human development - the impact of our  so-called
free will(?) governed/controlled by environment, climate, society
interactions, psychology, religion of course, etc decisions, started to
increasingly impact on the natural environment of the planet, from local
to global through human history. We seem not to be well-provided with
enough foresight to be able to properly analyse our actions/decisions at
that scale. Or, changes are going too fast for us to adapt in time, I
don't know. This is food for philosophers and sociologists. We, as small
individuals, cannot do much besides being conscious of what may or seems
to be happening before our eyes and - at least individually - try to act
and live consequently. It is a way of life me and my wife have tried
more or less successfully of course, to  follow for about the last fifty
years... Not that it changed the world around us obviously, but I have
the illusion that every little drop of water finally contributes to fill
the ocean. Naive, I know.

>> Martians, I have been told, have outgrown the problem (which is why they are
extinct)... ;-)

> Hmm, I would like to know more regarding how something like that would come
> about...

I brought this up half-jokingly, but it would be an interesting exercise
of what-if analysis. I don't feel really up to the task however.

We seem to be drifting slowly away from the initial goal. ;-)

--
Thomas