POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Borked diacritical marks : Re: Borked diacritical marks Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:05:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Borked diacritical marks
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Apr 2023 01:55:39
Message: <642e5edb@news.povray.org>
On 4/5/23 06:34, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Now that you've stuck your head deep into the glyph-handling code, how difficult
> would you say it would be to write code in SDL that would take a font file and
> create splines and/or prisms?

That is what text{} does - more or less. You just don't see the result
is a union of a bunch of prisms (one per character) - where 'nested'
splines making up a character have been flattened.

> Or make the internal conversion exposed to SDL so that the result could be
> written to a file?

I thought about capturing the result too, and as a complete code hack,
not too bad to do.

Really supporting such a thing in SDL, much harder for sure. I doubt
worth it, but not thought much about performance differences, for example.

There are a large number of font tools out there which can do things
like dump particular glyphs. It's probably not too hard to create
something base on one of those too utilities too.

> Nice work   😄

Thanks.

Oh, I sorted that FreeSerif.ttf umlaut issue - 'twas me having left some
hacked code in place.

I've been playing with other fonts and symbols as a way to test a bit
more. Looking good thus. You do realize somewhat quickly there are
gazillions of free-ish fonts out there, but most cover only a small
number of Unicode character space. Anyhow. Attached another example
image - of some symbols this time.

One thing not working (and not expected to) is anything outside the
Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP). I pushed there a little - and it's all
crash, boom, bang at the moment.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: