POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Borked diacritical marks : Re: Borked diacritical marks Server Time
30 Apr 2024 04:04:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Borked diacritical marks
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 Apr 2023 04:38:21
Message: <642d337d$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/3/23 21:51, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Attached is a render turning off all automatic bounding(a) in the povr
> fork with -mb - which confirms this is indeed happening.

Update. Found and fixed two issues in the povr fork.

The first accounted for most of the problems where characters were made
up of multiple sub-glyphs. It goes as far back as I checked - to v3.0
source.

It's been the case that x & y offsets for the sub-glyphs, when of
non-word (aka byte) size, have been read as uint_8 and not int8_t
(signed char).

The unsigned values are used with a point offset method not supported in
our code at all. The x & y int8_t (signed char) method is - and it's
what all font's I checked use. The sometimes correct - and sometimes
completely wild results - come more from not handling he twos complement
representation correctly for the read values than having read bad values.

The second issue hits here and there and it is bounding. The bounding
was sometimes too tight for the resulting, flattened point loop
representation of the font.

I don't see a hard problem, say in not looking at all the points or
something. I believe, rather it's that the curve sometimes bulges
outside the least enclosing rectangles of point lists representing the
contours making up the character.

I sized up the bounding x,y size a little and fixed all but the edge of
one case. That one case looks to me like it needs 'too much' expansion.
Leaving it to look at in more detail later.

There is one definite issue is that the umlaut accented characters are
not rendered correctly in the FreeSerif.ttf font. No idea what is going
on there - those characters look OK to me for that font in other utilities.

Test images attached.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: