POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I think I found the funky hieght field trouble! : Re: I think I found the funky hieght field trouble! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 11:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I found the funky hieght field trouble!
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Mar 2023 18:57:44
Message: <6420cde8$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/26/23 15:36, Leroy wrote:
> What I'm kind of proud of is that the palette is special. The blue part of the
> each palette element matches that element number. So a pigment function that
> outputs blue matches the old standard Height field. I didn't plan on that. When
> I set it up  all those years ago I did it that way because it was easier to
> code.
>
> Here One that shows the full 256 range

Thanks! Played with it a while and yep, these exactly the kind that do
work and I've dropped support for them in my povr code... There are many
format variations with tga and I thought you might be using something
else.

The tga indexed input POV-Ray allows, can be 8 bit (256 deep) or 16 bit
(65535 deep). The latter form won't work correctly with the index method
in existing POV-Ray versions. It'll do some sort of wrap.

I looked around quickly for a converter which would convert to another
image format directly from the index values, but had no luck. Something
must exist somewhere I'd guess.

In general our image support is decent, but we don't support everything,
every format can do by any stretch. With povr I don't want to burn my
limited time on this image support work and I have considered dropping
some formats completely. It's just a resource thing. But, I don't know,
maybe there is a way to make use of an external conversion library or
something.

Bill P.