POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #ifdef using a string expression? : Re: #ifdef using a string expression? Server Time
1 May 2024 22:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #ifdef using a string expression?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Mar 2023 09:06:21
Message: <6420434d$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/26/23 07:50, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Is there a way to identify and collect all of the places in source where errors
> get raised, and group them by parse / render/ etc?

:-) Hmm. Asking questions to which to which the only strict answer is
yes.

If you mean quickly, you can grep strings like Warning, PossibleError,
Error and see quite a bit of text fly by. When and whether you actually
get any particular ones depends on more. Some too get formed indirectly
where a function like Not_WithPattern() might be what is actually
getting called and it will assemble some final Error or Warning.

The parsing related stuff these days is mostly in the source/parser
directory. Just counting lines with those strings in povr, Warning 171,
PossibleError 32, Error 609.

> While working on the lemon, I also stumbled upon a dev manual in the 3.8 github
> stuff - haven't had a chance to dig through it - might any of that already be in
> there?

Assume you are talking about the contents of source-doc directory.

Many years ago I did read through those files. I don't recall much of it
truth be told and a lot of it was 15 years old already when I read it. I
see a povms.md file. It would have stuff on the threaded messaging
system - one of several ways messages get generated - so yep some in
there. :-)

Bill P.