POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv mapping triangles in mesh {} : Re: uv mapping triangles in mesh {} Server Time
17 May 2024 23:58:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping triangles in mesh {}
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Mar 2023 07:54:49
Message: <64203289$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25-3-2023 om 19:07 schreef Josh English:
> It looks good to me. I didn't get a satisfactory "kiss the edge of the
> triangle" look but I didn't do a lot of heavy math. Even the sqrt(3)/6
> was a guess that just seemed to work well enough.

Yes, I also "guessed" the best fits to what I wanted to achieve ;-)

> I made a few more adjustments to the code
>
> #declare TorusRadius = sqrt(3)/6;
> #declare Torus = torus {TorusRadius-Line, Line rotate x*90 translate
> <0.5, TorusRadius, 0>}
>
> And then I experimented with stretching some triangles, which would
> happen in a mesh and got the expected distortions of the radius. I'm not
> sure that's even possible to fix without customizing ellipses for each
> triangle, so probably at that point a cylinder and not a torus creates a
> better marker.

I did that too; gives insight at least about how it all works. I never
paid much attention to uv_vectors, as most of the uv_mapping I am doing
is through modellers and with image_maps. However, this is a good
learning exercise.

--
Thomas