POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fuctions, My two cents : Re: Fuctions, My two cents Server Time
3 May 2024 03:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuctions, My two cents
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Feb 2023 12:39:03
Message: <63fa47b7$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/25/23 09:59, jr wrote:
> hi,

>> There was a Loooooooooooooooooooooong discussion of this over here:
>
> :-)  interesting thread.  thanks.

Ah, I remember that thread. Also that I gave up on a documentation issue
therein that was well past any return on investment. :-)

> @WFP
>
> thanks for clarification + input(s); re the red-green thing, confused by "height
> field color images", thought they were always just grayscale.

:-) My head is always a buzzing mess. Anyone else noticed I'm of late
often typing 'is' for most any two character word with a leading 'i'.
:-( A small miracle anyone can make anything of what I write.

---

Anyhow. Color images work as HF input. However, in newer versions of
POV-Ray I'd recommend never using color inputs directly in a grey scale
application. Too many ways for it to go astray of intent.

For example, a color image with strong red, green or blue regions will
create substantially different HFs when encoded as a 16 bit color png vs
an 8 bit one.

Bill P.