POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 : Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 Server Time
1 May 2024 18:56:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Feb 2023 09:06:05
Message: <63f772cd$1@news.povray.org>
Op 23-2-2023 om 02:03 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Hi folks,
>
> Ben from UnchartedX has just posted the stl file from a professional
> metrological scan of a pre-dynastic rose quartz vase.
>
> You can view the video and the one that precedes it to gain an appreciation of
> exactly what this represents.
>
>  From a purely POV-Ray perspective, it would be great to get this rendered with
> Thomas deGroot's Granite_21 textures, and maybe even post the results on YT and
> other sites to show the capabilities of POV-Ray with regard to texture, finish,
> normal, lighting, and sub-surface light transport.
>
> The file is 44.6 MB, and it would be great if someone could convert it to a mesh
> {} or preferably mesh2 {} object.  You could likely post it on a free
> file-hosting service for the next 30 days like I did with F. Lohmueller's
> (partial) web archive.

https://unchartedx.com/site/2023/02/19/new-video-updates-to-the-vase-scan-responses-and-the-stl-file/

To be sure you get it too (I posted the link separately to jr's
request), the Vase mesh2 files can be downloaded here for the next 30 days:

  https://ufile.io/0wv5jpfc

I still need to test how sub-surface light transport will show itself
off in the present setting.

--
Thomas