POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Plants collection : Re: Plants collection Server Time
5 May 2024 06:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plants collection
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2023 02:40:30
Message: <63f4756e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 20/02/2023 om 18:21 schreef yesbird:
> Thanks, Thomas, you give me a good idea about reducing manual work,
> analysis of groups and regrouping can help to do it.
>
> May be I will write script to assign different materials to groups
> and then merge them. I need to know more about OBJ format for that.

Are there other formats than OBJ you could export to? Sometimes that may
help circumvent the problem.

> But autocolorizing still interesting to me. For example, what if I want
> to highlight edges or peaks of the complex mesh with selected color ?
> Will try to dig into this problem ...

That would be interesting to try but...

Each mesh is a single closed (?) unit and ideally you would need some
way to recognise those 'peaks' of 'edges'. In a well-behaved model those
would be already textured in the MTL corresponding file or - in more
elaborate models - uv_mapped on the mesh. Again, can be done at some
pain, but with the help of a modeller afaik. I have done that kind of
work at great pain for some downloaded models I wanted absolutely to
tweak in my favour, and it took me days and sometimes weeks to achieve
properly. Inflammation of your arm and neck joints, and muscle pain may
be your unlooked for reward too... :-/

--
Thomas