POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New exhibition at my website : Re: New exhibition at my website Server Time
15 Aug 2024 18:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New exhibition at my website
From: Daniel Matthews
Date: 9 May 2002 16:58:05
Message: <6387558.NjorxKYX51@3-e.net>
Ib Rasmussen wrote:

> Daniel Matthews wrote:
>
>> You need to collaborate with a texture and lighting/radiosity master.
>

> Pehaps, but I don't think I have the patience to render this model with
> radiosity. I did some lores experiments with one of the 3.5 betas, and
> apart from the fact, that I didn't get anywhere near anything usable, I
> did get render times almost 100 times longer than without radiosity.
> That translates into more than a year for a final quality hires image,
> and that is a bit too long for me.
>
> /Ib

Eeeek! More than a year!!

You need to get a friend in the IT department of a university so you can
run your renders on a cluster. What CPU/MHz are you using now?

Perhaps the IT person from an architecture dep. could help too, I'm sure
they would be impressed with your work.

Your situation give me an idea, imagine a competition like the IRTC where
the prize was rendering time on a huge distributed cluster, like the one
the Internet Movie Project is setting up.

One guy you could talk to is Paul Bourke, he may be able to help you out.
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/

I know he does some interesting work with POV and it involves cluster
rendering too, but I have no idea how approachable he is.