POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g : Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g
From: Glen Berry
Date: 28 May 2000 14:40:16
Message: <62MxOeoQmOJumxal8eep+FP75xCo@4ax.com>
On Sun, 28 May 2000 13:19:49 -0500, "Tony[B]"
<ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote:

>I guess you're right. Please post the photo for us, Glen. I would really
>appreciate it. But, still, in my experience, colors don't bleed that much in
>RL, I think.

I also think that many of the examples we've seen "bleed" in
unrealistic ways. Sometimes the color bleed seems far too saturated,
and other times it seems to bleed for too great a distance. However,
there *are* circumstances in real life where the color bleed is
dramatic, even if this isn't typical in most cases.

The trouble is, this example scene everyone is using has no physical
reference that I know of. That's why I suggest building a physical box
for comparison. It might be a little while before I get one built, but
I do intend to get around to it. I would also encourage others to
attempt something similar and let this newsgroup know about your
results.

If nothing else, accurately model an existing space that you have
access to, (such as a room in your house), and let us know which
radiosity techniques render it the best. It would be a good idea to
back up the results with a high quality photograph of the actual
space. (I realize that to do this properly requires more effort and
discipline than most people are willing to invest. It also prohinits
others from validating your results, unless they also build a room
just like yours. However, I think it could still be educational.)

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )