POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : adding a 'normal' to a camera-- some notes : Re: adding a 'normal' to a camera-- some notes Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: adding a 'normal' to a camera-- some notes
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Feb 2022 02:23:49
Message: <62076085@news.povray.org>
On 2/11/22 14:42, Kenneth wrote:
> Sorry for the long delay, I needed to wrap my mind around your very useful
> comments and to run some more tests.
>
> This camera-normal stuff is indeed weird, and certainly not as simple to fix as
> I thought.

No worries - this our hobby - we play when able. ...And, I cannot count
the number of times I've mumbled to myself, "...not as simple to fix as
I thought." :-)

Aside: I find your images here appealing.

---
I'll start by saying I'm sure I don't see or understand all that can
happen when apply a normal block to the camera. That said, I think your
general rules more or less correct.

(2) - Whether the pattern is centered or not will depend on the pattern.
Internally the coordinates any pattern sees from the camera are
-0.5,-0.5,0 to +0.5,+0.5,0.0.

(3) - Yes. The camera direction vector is effectively the raw normal
into the normal pattern. (I've wondered whether there are any AA induced
distortions when perturb camera rays with a normal{}. We, there, are
twiddling with ray directions)

(4) - Yes. Similarly, beyond the simplest user defined functional camera
set ups, figuring out how to set up a camera in a way which behaves in
an understandable across all possible transformations is difficult.

Aside: Unsure I mentioned it. There is an odd check in the normal.cpp
code whether a valid intersection exists. I initially took it to be an
unneeded conditional and added an assert to see if it ever tripped while
rendering. Camera normal{} and kaboom. Then had a reason for the
conditional and also served notice the perturbed normal information is
getting back to the camera direction rays by a somewhat different means
than usual.

Bill P.