POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Jan 2022 08:14:31
Message: <61f53db7$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/29/22 05:07, Kenneth wrote:
> ut if I run it like this:
>
> #version unofficial 3.8;
>
> ...... the scene fails outright, with the message
> "line 1: Parse error: This scene was created for an unofficial version and
> cannot work as-is with this official version."

Thanks! Stopping with this error is what I expected for "official"
windows versions. This means if we want to write SDL supporting both
normal POV-Ray releases and forks for windows users, we'd need to strip
"unofficial" from #version.

Thanks jr, for the initial versions.inc template. Yes, such an include
could be provided with code. However, we'd need to be careful about
'declaring' any version of POV-Ray to be an official one. Today ONLY the
pre-compiled windows releases are official.

Hmm, suppose we could extend this code to optionally end with an #error
if the desired hook or fork is not found for SDL written specifically
for a particular fork.

 > what was (f_odd's) original purpose?  reading that the argument is
 > a "field strength" made me wonder whether it's anything to do
 > with 'blob's.

I don't know, I think it was likely some unfinished effort where some
initial code got copied. Code wise it was always a match for f_cushion()
and so pointless as shipped.

Bill P.