POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
1 May 2024 01:43:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Jan 2022 09:01:35
Message: <61f1543f$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/22 16:55, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Yeah, that's a thought. I didn't really think about the normal
> components potentially canceling and going to zero. It could happen, but
> I'd say not all that often - but maybe there is some clamping or cut
> offs somewhere in the code that get us to zeroing.
>
> Using aoi a good thought too! The povr aoi pattern doesn't cut off like
> the official POV-Ray one does where the normals point away. I made this
> change so folks can to a degree see any perturbed normal inversions -
> they can run something to see at what bump_size they have a problem.

OK attached a 'povr aoi' image where the micro bump size is always the
1.5 I was using for the milky looking result.

The left a z plane more or less as I expect - it's just noisy.

The middle a sphere and again just noise but because of the orthographic
camera rays in +Z we get more inversion, more read at the edges (nearer
tangent rays) of the sphere.

The right image is again the plane, but where the color_map is changed
to show white pixels where they do essentially zero out. There are not
many cases where this happens.

...So what's going on.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mircoinversion_1pt5.jpg' (396 KB)

Preview of image 'mircoinversion_1pt5.jpg'
mircoinversion_1pt5.jpg