POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to ... : Re: How to ... Server Time
1 May 2024 09:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to ...
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 12 Dec 2021 07:15:58
Message: <61b5e7fe$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/2021 18:00, Bald Eagle wrote:
> You're doing exactly the right things for your geometry.   Make sure
you get the
> normals set correctly for the smooth_triangles, so you get a nice smooth
> surface.
> Let me know if you're struggling there - I got it right a while back after
> struggling with that myself - for the Bezier patch paper, IIRC.

Yes, I would like to have information on the calculation of the normals.

> "By using the texture_list it is possible to specify a texture per
triangle or
> even per vertex in the mesh. In the latter case the three textures per
triangle
> will be interpolated. To let POV-Ray know what texture to apply to a
triangle,
> the index of a texture is added to the face_indices list, after the
face index
> it belongs to.
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/68/
>
> scroll down to:
>
> 1.3.2.2.3 A separate texture per triangle

Yes, separate texture per triangle with texture_list.
Seems perfect but not easy to do (for me at least).

But, looking at the previous page of the documentation i found a mesh
object with texture by triangle.
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/67/

This solution seems to me easier to use

On 01/12/2021 02:34, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> Assuming your z is a complex variable with a real and imaginary part,
> and that you plot the magnitude of your function as the height (along
> POV-Ray's y-axis) over a complex plane with the real part along POV-
> Ray's x-axis and the imaginary part along POV-Ray's z-axis then you
> can use the argument (0 to 2*pi) of your function to choose a color
> from a color map, like this:
>
> // ===== 1 ======= 2 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7
>
> #version 3.7;
>
> #declare Tau = 2*pi;
>
> #declare YourMesh = mesh2 { ... }
>
> #declare YourArgFn = function { ... };

Yes of corse. Is an elegant solution to this problem.
It's the same thing that bugman123 use.
YourArgFn() ... I can't define and use this function correctly.

I will start with the solution found in doc 1.3.2.1 Mesh Object.
I'll keep you informed.

Thanks you for your help and suggestions.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise