POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent Objects Become Black : Re: Transparent Objects Become Black Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent Objects Become Black
From: Alain Martel
Date: 19 Nov 2021 13:30:15
Message: <6197ed37$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2021-11-18 à 17:48, Kenneth a écrit :
               inclusion ior: 1.2
> When they are the *same*, the inclusions do not show any 'additional' ior effect
> -- like an additional 0.2 for themselves, above the container's 1.2-- but just
> the overall ior of 1.2... as if the container and the inclusions are all "made
> from the same material" (whether as a union or a difference).  I guess that I
> should have expected this-- it seems obvious now-- although I originally thought
> that the inclusions would show 1.2 + 0.2 = 1.4.
>
> BTW, I also discovered something interesting along the way:
> An ior of 0.0 is the same as ior 1.0. This has actually confused me in the
> past-- because 'negative' iors ( < 1.0 and even < 0.0) can be used for
> interesting effects, but there is this unexpected  'glitch' at exactly 0.0.

The refraction depends on the ratio of the iors on each sides of the
surface. What you see is what is expected and observed in nature.

I've experienced with negative ior. That makes the surface behave as if
it had
finish{ reflection 1 }

When you think about it, it makes sense. The ior is the ratio of the
speed of light in a vacuum divided by the speed of light in a medium.
A negative ior demand a negative speed of light in that medium.