POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is my life easier yet? : Re: Is my life easier yet? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:05:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is my life easier yet?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 Oct 2021 17:27:33
Message: <615b71c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-10-02 8:10 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> [snip]

I figured out that you copy and paste the PAT into the password field
when you push to GitHub.  And it's gotta be either a paste or a
credentials manager, because I'm not going to type 40 characters from a
piece of paper.

And this was where I learned that I know less about Git than I realized.
 In fact, I'm beginning to suspect than a month and a half of trying to
learn Git has been as effective as catching water in a sieve.

Following an online 3rd party tutorial (and it has to be 3rd party,
because documentation sucks), I created a remote repo on GitHub, added a
short description and a license, and gave the URL to Git-Cola.  But when
I tried to push, I got this message:

----------[BEGIN MESSAGE]----------
"git push" returned exit status 1

Have you rebased/pulled lately?

Pushing to https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot
To https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot
 ! [rejected]        main -> main (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to
'https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.
-----------[END MESSAGE]-----------

So I tried git pull:

----------[BEGIN MESSAGE]----------
"git pull" returned exit status 128

POST git-upload-pack (294 bytes)
From https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot
 * branch            main       -> FETCH_HEAD
 = [up to date]      main       -> origin/main
fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories

Everything about that second message is telling me that over a month and
a half I've learned NOTHING about how Git works.  And the 'Note about
fast-forwards' in 'git push --help'?  It might as well have been written
in Arabic for all I could understand.

I was about to post to a local Facebook tech group asking for
local-project-to-GitHub tutorials or a tutorial service, but you all
know how that turned out.