POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GitHub discourages organization : Re: GitHub discourages organization Server Time
1 May 2024 22:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GitHub discourages organization
From: Chris Cason
Date: 19 Aug 2021 22:42:14
Message: <611f1686$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2021 11:45, Jim Henderson wrote:
> (But yes, Microsoft does now own Github)

Which is a good thing, in a way. While I'm not a great fan of Microsoft,
they do seem to be keeping their fingers out of interfering with github,
which makes perfect sense when you think of it.

Some of us will remember the time that SourceForge was the place for
open-source projects to host public repositories, and will also know
what happened when SF got sold to someone who didn't really care about
software but just wanted to make a quick buck regardless of the damage done.

They started used techniques such as dark design patterns to trick
people who just wanted to download the latest version of, say, GIMP to
instead download something else entirely (I know of a few people who got
trapped by this and ended up with PUP's on their systems). They even
went as far as wrapping some projects legitimate installer inside their
*own* installer which would install junkware before running the 'real'
installer.

These tactics quickly *nuked* sourceforge's reputation and developers
abandoned the site in droves. It has never recovered from this (and
never will, even though it's under new ownership).

See
https://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don%E2%80%99t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/

if you're interested in more background on what happened to SF.

Now someone may wonder how this relates to a discussion about GitHub and
its ownership, and my answer is that it relates a *lot*. GitHub isn't
unique; it's not created or run by the makers of Git. it's just a
open-source software hosting site - like SourceForge is/was.

Microsoft bought it because they saw it as a good investment as it had
become a popular destination for OSS projects and their own OSS host
(CodePlex) wasn't doing nearly as well (and in fact they since shut it
down).

GitHub (and sites like it) lives and breathes on its *reputation*. While
it has some neat features (like build automation) the basic technology
(Git) is portable and as such there's not a lot preventing a project
just moving somewhere else. Microsoft are well aware of that fact and
would have to be insane to do anything that would jeopardize their $7bn
investment in GitHub as almost all of that value is tied up in 'good will'.

Just as importantly they're *also* so cashed up they they are unlikely
to ever say "we need a few extra dollars, let's sell GitHub" - meaning
GH is unlikely to ever end up in the hands of anyone who wants to make a
quick buck regardless of the damage done to the reputation of the site
(which is what happened to SourceForge).

-- Chris