POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Jun 2021 02:27:17
Message: <60b724c5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 01/06/2021 om 23:40 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "jamesf" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> This is a lifting of a "protection" mechanism from the C language (at least
>> that's where I first encountered it).

> Thanks, James - I have seen that type of thing in the various POV-Ray include
> files, and probably in some source and arduino code.  I thought that's what was
> getting done, but at present it seems that TdG was trying to invoke some kind of
> POV "woo".
>
>> I'm not aware of any 'magic' that happens in povscript WRT defining a
>> _filename_INC_ variable, but there could be such.
>
> Yeah - I was stunned that there was some such thing that I had never heard of or
> seen.  On the other hand, it's an interesting concept - maybe a clever macro
> could "search" for all variants of a particular filename...
>
>> (hope this helps clear up the concept)
>
> So do I.  The world just keeps getting cloudier, murkier, more opaque, and more
> obscure as time goes on it seems...
>
> I'm going to sacrifice another lime and offer up a supplication that Thomas gets
> the rest, therapy, - and medication - that he so desperately needs to find
> clarity of mind and inner peace.  We love you, Thomas.   Help is always just a
> forum-post away.   :)

Just got a bootlegged batch of fresh Dried Frog Pills (pale yellow, not
green) which does seem to do me a lot of good... [kwark!] sorry  ;-)

You know how it works: somebody in some scene uses a "smart" trick,
which seems to work fine, and you mindlessly copy that into your own
scenes, and it does seem to work... somehow, and then you tweak that
"smart" trick to cover another need (close, but different) and lo! it
just refuses to do what you expected. That is what happened to me. It
took me an unusual long time to discover that it didn't work because I
had been so clever as to cover up my tracks in such a way that it always
"seemed" to work. I was sorely mislead by my tricky mind! One always
needs a critical mind close by to get you back on the right track.
Thanks Bill!

--
Thomas