POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
5 May 2024 10:49:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: clipka
Date: 28 May 2021 11:00:06
Message: <60b10576$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.05.2021 um 10:04 schrieb jr:

> for all the reasons you gave etc.  the thread however, as I understood it, is
> about building up a .. repository of scripts, snippets, related info on "foo"
> required, etc.  all, again aiui, to be summarised + published on the wiki,
> eventually.  a user-to-user resource.

Beware that you're creating documentation for a moving target.

If that repository of knowledge isn't kept up to date, it will become as
useless as any other location where such information has accumulated
over the years.

If you really want to improve the installation documentation situation,
my suggestion would be to help us (*) improve `unix/README.md` (which
constitutes THE authoritative quick-install instructions for Linux and
other Unixoids) and `unix/install.txt` (wich currently constitutes THE
authoritative detailed documentation of the installation process for
such platforms).

As for the official POV-Ray wiki, I guess it makes sense to document the
installation process for FINAL versions there. But we currently don't
have any such for v3.8. Until then, it is far easier to maintain
up-to-date install instructions for the development versions at exactly
the same place where those versions themselves are maintained: In the
source code erepository. In the aforementioned `unix/README.md`, to be
specific.

In any other places, the proper thing to do would be to just let people
know that `unix/README.md` exists, and that they should follow the
instructions there.

(*) Ideally, what you'd do is clone the repository, change the file,
then create a pull request. Some discussion could (and probably would)
then ensue in the GitHub "pull requests" section, over concerns we might
have with the new wording, and you might be expected to make further
changes, before the pull request would be adopted into the official repo.

A bunch of smaller pull requests addressing individual shortcomings of
the document would probably be more likely to get adopted quickly than a
single pull request essentially rewriting the entire file.