POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
5 May 2024 10:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: clipka
Date: 28 May 2021 04:02:59
Message: <60b0a3b3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.05.2021 um 09:46 schrieb clipka:

> You pass several parameters to configure, starting with `COMPILED_BY=`.
> Then some people prefer to specify `--prefix=`, while some others don't
> care much about it, and some people need it because they're not
> administrators. Then some people want to first run `make check` to
> verify that compilation went fine, and only run `make install` after
> that has been established, while others prefer to just run `make
> install` straight away. Others may just want to build an experimental
> version without installing it, and therefore refrain from running `make
> install`. Not to mention certain cases for which we know that the usual
> procedure does _not_ work, such as trying to build with Clang 3.4 while
> using standard headers from gcc 4.6, which needs
> `CXXFLAGS=-fno-fast-math` as a parameter to `configure` to work.

... oh, and I forgot: Depending on various circumstances, people will
want to run either `make install` or `sudo make install`. In the latter
case, they`ll typically want to run a simple `make` first, if they don't
run `make check`.

Or, on some odd quirky system, they may not be able to use `sudo`, and
instead need to start a new shell session with `su`, run `make install`
in there, and exit it again. In that case, running this as a spearate
step is, to the best of my knowledge, inevitable. Unless you want to run
all of the installation steps as superuser, but trust me, you don't want
to do that. If you were the type of person who would, you'd be logged in
as root all the time anyway.

If I can come up with all that stuff in just half a morning's worth of
time, imagine what good old reality would throw at such a script...