POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: clipka
Date: 26 May 2021 08:40:18
Message: <60ae41b2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.05.2021 um 02:06 schrieb Chris Cason:

> Estimated 54,252 articles in total, first article 3332 and last is
> 83275. I'm able to retrieve both the first (from 1998) and the last
> (from today).

That about matches the number of posts I'm seeing now, after rebuilding
the index (54243; not sure where the difference of 10 is from). Before
though, there were something like 70k articles for which Thunderbird had
retrieved header information.

Posts as far back as 1998 are fine, as are recent posts. What I'm
SPECIFICALLY NOT seeing anymore are any posts dating between 2018-10-07
and 2020-04-18. And I know there were quite a lot, even a couple I had
read just before rebuilding the index. Even a couple I had posted myself.

The same happens in each and every other group: Any posts from 2019 that
are still in the index over here, but that I hadn't read yet, all just
prompt a message saying they no longer exist. And if I rebuild the index
of any group, all posts from 2019 - including ones I had read just
minutes before - are just gone, without any trace whatsoever.

The web interface still seems to have them, for some reason. But the
news server apparently doesn't.

> However that's not to say I know what exact requests Thunderbird is
> sending. If it happens again I suggest running tcpdump or wireshark on
> your end when you do the fetch so you can see exactly what Thunderbird
> is asking and what the server tells it in response. If you can send that
> to me I can take a look at it.

I have no idea what tcpdump or wireshark even do (I may be exaggerating
here, but not by much), let alone how to run them on my Windows machine
to put them to any good use.