POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
5 May 2024 09:07:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 May 2021 17:27:48
Message: <609eeb54$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/14/21 3:59 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Just went through povr installation with jr.
> Got the biscuit render, so looked good.
>
> Went into qtpovray38 distribution directory to test a .pov file.
>
> bald@Alienware ~/povray38/scenes/objects $ povr blob.pov
> /home/povray/povray-3.8.0-x.povr_b0bcf6c0/bin/povr: 5:
> /home/povray/povray-3.8.0-x.povr_b0bcf6c0/bin/povr: Cannot fork
>
> bald@Alienware ~/povray38/scenes/objects $ povr chess.pov
> /home/povray/povray-3.8.0-x.povr_b0bcf6c0/bin/povr: 5:
> /home/povray/povray-3.8.0-x.povr_b0bcf6c0/bin/povr: Cannot fork
>
> Any ideas?

Just guesses.

The 'cannot fork' stuff usually happens when a unix/linux system has run
out of resources to start another process. Lack of memory/swap space,
/tmp, /var - maybe. There are sometimes limits on the number of
processes in place, but this in my experience is not all that common.

For starters you could try running the 'df' command and look at disk
usage. The command 'free -m' can be useful too.

Somewhere you posted about your machine... Let me try and find that and
I'll post back here if I see anything obvious.

---
Note! I expect quite a few existing scenes will NOT render correctly
with the povr branch without modification.

Let me try quickly to run a v3.8 blob scene here with my povr wrapper
script. It runs OK for me, but my povr is a little different.

I don't see a chess.pov, but chess2.pov doesn't run because it tries to
include color.inc and that file is not in povr's core set of includes.
In any case I'm not getting 'cannot fork' errors...

Bill P.